Troy Lee Designs/Red Bull/KTM’s Shane McElrath stretched his streak of top-four finishes to five with another fourth-place result aboard his KTM 250SX-F machine inside MetLife Stadium.
Since the fourth round in Detroit, McElrath has finished either third or fourth and gained ground in the standings where he currently sits fifth.
Team-mate Alex Frye was forced to climb back up the results after falling down to 16th, eventually finishing 14th at the end of the 15-lap Main Event.
After entering the season still on the mend, McElrath has gradually improved with each race, starting a streak of top finishes five races ago.
At East Rutherford, New Jersey he nearly had the Main Event holeshot and joined the front pack as they ran the first few laps. McElrath would eventually settle into fourth and developed a solid gap over the riders behind him.
“I know I should be happy with fourth because of how we started the season, but I am definitely hungry to get back up on the podium,” said McElrath. “I am happy with my consistency the past several races, so hopefully we can do the same next week in Las Vegas and head into outdoors healthy.”
It was another tough night for Frye, who was showing flashes of great speed throughout the day. He started the main event in eighth, but fell back to 16th, before bouncing back to 14th.
The Eastern Regional riders will join the Western Regional riders during the final supercross race of the season on May 7 at Sam Boyd Stadium in Las Vegas.
Eastern Regional 250SX Class Results
- Malcolm Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Honda
- Martin Davalos, Clermont, Fla., Husqvarna
- Jeremy Martin, Millville, Minn., Yamaha
- Shane McElrath, Canton, N.C., KTM
- Aaron Plessinger, Hamilton, Ohio, Yamaha
- Tyler Bowers, Corona, Calif., Kawasaki
- Gannon Audette, Tallahassee, Fla., Kawasaki
- Dakota Alix, Jay, Vt., KTM
- Luke Renzland, Hewitt, N.J., Yamaha
- Cedric Soubeyras, France, Kawasaki
Eastern Regional 250SX Class Championship Standings
- Malcolm Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Honda – 160
- Aaron Plessinger, Hamilton, Ohio, Yamaha – 146
- Jeremy Martin, Millville, Minn., Yamaha – 141
- Martin Davalos, Clermont, Fla., Husqvarna – 130
- Shane McElrath, Canton, N.C., KTM – 109
- Tyler Bowers, Corona, Calif., Kawasaki – 108
- Gannon Audette, Tallahassee, Fla., Kawasaki – 105
- RJ Hampshire, Brooksville, Fla., Honda – 99
- Anthony Rodriguez, Cairo, Ga., Kawasaki – 78
- Matt Bisceglia, Weatherford, Texas, Suzuki – 68